Learn the history of Caledonia. Preserve the history of Caledonia. Share the history of Caledonia.
The Caledonia Historical Society (CHS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to collecting, preserving, and sharing materials and information relating to the history of Caledonia. The Society promotes the understanding of the history through the buildings of the Caledonia Historical Village and the artifacts within them. History matters. It connects people to something larger than themselves. People need history to understand the world around them and to develop solutions for the future.
The December meeting of the CHS is the CHS Christmas Potluck Dinner at the Caledonia-Mt. Pleasant Park Building at 9614 Co Hwy K . The doors open at 5:30 pm with dinner served at 6:00 pm. Please bring a dish to pass. The public is invited. For more information, view this website or email [email protected]
SAVE THE DATE!
The annual Christmas in the Log Cabin Boutique and Bake Sale in the Town Hall will be held on December 7th from Noon to 7 pm and December 8th from Noon to 4 pm each day. Visit the Caledonia Historical Village and enjoy the spirit of winter in the village. There will be a live Nativity on Saturday. Items available in the 1840’s Log Cabin include jewelry, wood carvings, Christmas decor, fiber arts, quilts, macrame, shatter glass art and much more. Items available in the 1877 Town Hall will be home made baked goods and craft items. Purchase of items supports the goals of the Caledonia Historical Society.
CALEDONIA EARLY GOVERNMENT!
Caledonia became a township in 1842 and the first meeting of the government was held April 7, 1842. The purpose of the meeting was to determine the date for the first election of town officials. The early meetings were held in individual’s homes. Caledonia got its first town hall in 1877 when a single-room, rectangular structure was built near the center of town on Mary O’Connor’s land along Hwy 38. The original Town Hall fell into disuse when the new municipal buildings were constructed in Husher. It remained standing in disrepair until the CHS moved it in 2005 to the Caledonia Historical Village and restored the building.
The restoration of the 1877 Caledonia Town Hall sparked the beginning of the non-profit, the Caledonia Historical Society. The Town Hall was the first building moved to the Caledonia Historical Village. You can learn more about the Town Hall on the CHS Building and Items pages on this website.