Volunteers are key at the Caledonia Historical Village CHV). The Caledonia Historical Society (CHS) owns and operates the village located just east of Hwy 38 and 5 Mile Road as a 501(c)3 non-profit.
The 1877 Caledonia Town Hall is now located in the CHV, and the preservation of the Town Hall was the impetus for the origination of the CHS. Subsequently the CHS chose to preserve the 1902 Sturtevant Milwaukee Road Depot, the 1840’s Log Cabin, the 1927 Caboose, and the 1919 two story Machine Shed. All of these structures were moved to the CHV. All of the structures have been restored or are in process of being restored. There are also many artifacts stored in the structures that epitomize the life of the early settlers who lived in the Caledonia area in the mid-1800’s through the 1920’s. All of the buildings are open (except the machine shed) during the monthly open houses starting with May. The open houses are the fourth Sunday of the month through September and the hours are 12 Noon to 4:00 pm. There are many artifacts in the buildings for viewing also.
All CHS projects are completed by volunteers. Volunteers also maintain the grounds and the upkeep of the structures. The current project is the 1919 Machine Shed. Volunteers will be working on the shed once again as soon as weather permits.
The CHS meets every month on the third Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm. The location in the winter months is the Caledonia-Mt.Pleasant Park Building at 9614 Hwy K. The March meeting will be held March 19th. The April meeting will be held April 16th in the 1902 Milwaukee Road Depot at the Caledonia Historical Village. The public is welcome.
NEED MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE CHS?
For more information, visit the various pages on this website or email: [email protected].